杭州SPA,杭州楼凤,杭州龙凤网

Powered by Liangn!

January, 2019

Gord Steeves doesn’t show up to help feed less fortunate – Winnipeg

It was an offer Althea Guiboche hoped could not be refused.

“It would have been nice for them to come out,” said Guiboche, also know as the Bannock Lady.

After controversial comments were made by Gord Steeves’ wife Lorrie, Guiboche invited the couple to serve food to the city’s less fortunate Sunday afternoon, but the pair were no-shows.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

“It is up to them if they want to change their perspective open their eyes to the reality and quite relying on the stereotypes that we have been raised to believe,” said Guiboche, who admits she wasn’t surprised the Steeves family did not come.

The offer came after a Facebook post by Lorrie four years ago made the rounds on social media Friday.

In a status update she wrote she is “really tired of getting harassed by the drunken native guys in the skywalks. We need to get these people educated so they can go make their own damn money instead of hanging out harrassing (sic) the honest people who are grinding away working hard for their money. We all donate enough money to the government to keep thier (sic) sorry asses on welfare, so shut the f**k up and don’t ask me for another handout!”

Lorrie has since sent out statement in an email to media that read “In 2010 while I was working downtown I was regularly harassed for money and often put in a position where I feared for my safety. One day in particular 4 years ago was very bad and out of frustration I vented on my personal Facebook page. I feel terrible about these comments. I am terribly sorry and I apologize. I do not clear my Facebook posts or status updates with my husband.”

Guiboche wanted the Steeves family to take the apology a step further.

“Actions speak louder than words,” she said.

For nearly two years Guiboche has volunteered her time to make, collect and hand out food to the city’s less fortunate. This Sunday around 150 people were served with bannock, pizza, salad, fresh fruit and bottled water.

Guiboche says her invitation to Gord and Lorrie is still open to come down to the corner of Dufferin Avenue and Main Street any Sunday at 3 p.m.

“Once they feel, maybe they are ready, that would be lovely,” she said.

Gord Steeves hasn’t responded to repeated interview requests however he is expected to break his silence later this week. His campaign office sent an email to media Sunday saying there would be an event with Steeves on Tuesday. Where, what time and what Steeves will say is not known.

‘We’ve heard from some dodgy characters’: Red Deer man selling $1.5 million jet on Kijiji

Watch above: When you think about Kijiji, finding an apartment or new furniture comes to mind. But what about a fighter jet? That’s exactly what a Red Deer man is looking to sell and it could be yours for $1.5 million. Shallima Maharaj reports.

EDMONTON – If you’re in the market for a Harrier jet, look no further; a Red Deer man is selling one for a cool $1.5 million. But the way he’s chosen to sell the jet is somewhat less-than-traditional. He’s taken out an ad on Kijiji.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Edmonton-area school listed on Kijiji for $2.4M

  • Kijiji ad cleverly markets ‘The Best Place in the World’

“I wanted to reach out to a different kind of audience, rather than the normal people that read aviation magazines, see if there’s somebody out there that wanted the ultimate toy,” said Ian Cotton.

The Scotland native, who moved to Canada in 1995, posted the ad to sell his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji last week. By Sunday afternoon, the ad had garnered nearly 26,000 views online.

Cotton says while he’s heard from a couple of serious potential buyers, he’s also heard from quite a few “jokers.”

“We’ve heard from some dodgy characters too, that clearly are doing some sort of internet scam.”

“Somebody saying they’re going to send me $1.5 million in cash through PayPal,” Cotton said with a laugh. “Of course, I don’t think PayPal deals in that kind of cash.”

A collector not a pilot, Cotton obtained the Ex-Royal Navy Harrier Jet from the UK five years ago. It’s the sixth plane he’s acquired over the past six years or so.

“The plan was to originally try and get this into flyable condition; there is one exactly the same as this flying in the States,” he explained. “I just don’t seem to have the time any more to play with these.”

WATCH: Cotton prepares the jet for the 2013 Airdrie Airshow

So, he’s taken to Kijiji to sell it. Cotton says the jet is in excellent condition. It comes with a Rolls-Royce Pegasus MK107 engine, a parts donor extra fuselage and another Harrier cockpit that can be used for display or the basis of a simulator.

The jet was built in 1986, converted to the latest FA2 standard in 1997 and last flown in 2001.

Cotton says now, all it needs are minor parts and “somebody crazy enough to fly it.”

“I think anybody that’s going to buy it is obviously going to look after it and maybe get it flying, maybe put it in a museum or maybe use it as a static display.”

To see Cotton’s ad, head to Kijiji’s website.

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Supplied, Ian Cotton

Red Deer’s Ian Cotton is selling his 1986 Sea Harrier FA2 Jump Jet on Kijiji for a cool $1.5 million.

Shallima Maharaj, Global News

Follow @CaleyRamsay

Woman punched on video by California Highway patrolman thought she would die – National

WATCH: The woman who was repeatedly punched in the head by a California Highway Patrol officer on July 1 says she feared for her life as the officer swung at her “with all his might.”

LOS ANGELES – Marlene Pinnock said she thought she was going to die as a California Highway Patrol officer straddled her, repeatedly punching her head, on the side of a Los Angeles freeway.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

During an hour-long interview with The Associated Press on Sunday – her first public comments since the July 1 incident was caught on now-viral video by a passing driver – Pinnock spoke haltingly or in a whisper, occasionally putting her hands to her temples and grimacing.

Her attorney Caree Harper frequently interrupted her and limited her responses to a reporter’s questions.

“He grabbed me, he threw me down, he started beating me, he beat me. I felt like he was trying to kill me, beat me to death,” Pinnock said.

Pinnock was released from the hospital last week after several weeks of treatment for head injuries and now slurs her speech, Harper said.

WATCH: Video of California Highway Patrol officer Daniel L. Andrew repeatedly punching Marlene Pinnock on the side of a Los Angeles freeway (July 4). Warning: Video may be disturbing to some viewers.

READ MORE: Woman seen on video beaten by U.S. highway patrolman files civil rights lawsuit

Pinnock is suing CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow and Officer Daniel L. Andrew in federal court for civil rights violations. The suit claims excessive force, assault, battery and a violation of Pinnock’s due process rights. The CHP hasn’t identified the officer but said he had been on the job for 1 1/2 years and is on desk duty pending completion of the internal investigation.

Farrow met with community and civil rights leaders in Los Angeles multiple times last month and pledged that the investigation will conclude in weeks rather than the usual months. CHP Sgt. Melissa Hammond said Sunday that she couldn’t comment on the ongoing investigation.

The CHP has said that Pinnock was endangering herself by walking on Interstate 10 and the officer was trying to restrain her.

Pinnock said she had been homeless for the last three to five years, occasionally staying at the Los Angeles Mission, a family member’s home or on La Brea or Crenshaw.

Pinnock said she had been on her way to a safe place where friends could watch her sleep when the altercation occurred. Harper said the area Pinnock was headed to is one of those frequented by the homeless and only accessible by walking along the freeway ramp.

She was placed on an involuntary psychiatric hold by Andrew after the incident, according to a document obtained by The Associated Press. Andrew said in his report that she was a danger to herself and wrote that “upon contacting the subject she was talking to herself. The subject began telling me ‘I want to walk home’ and called me ‘the devil.’ The subject then tried to walk into traffic lanes.”

Harper didn’t allow Pinnock to discuss the details leading up to the incident or her medical treatment.

“If in fact she did call him the devil is secondary to the fact that he proved to be either the devil or a close relative,” Harper said. “Because he treated her in a manner nobody should ever be treated.”

Pinnock is being supported by Harper to keep her off the street and is essentially “starting from scratch,” her attorney said.

READ MORE: Calif. officer punches woman over 10 times in arrest posted on YouTube

CHP investigators in July seized Pinnock’s medical records and the clothing she was wearing during the incident from Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. Harper said she was outraged by the violation of doctor-patient privacy and attorney-client privilege.

The incident has drawn outrage from U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, who called it police brutality and demanded the officer be fired, and civil rights groups including the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

©2014The Canadian Press

GALLERY: Cleanup efforts underway after storm ravages southeast Saskatchewan

REGINA – Cleanup efforts are well underway in parts of south east Saskatchewan in the wake of Friday night’s fierce storm.

Winds reaching 140 kilometers an hour swept through areas including Regina, White City and Balgonie, leaving behind extensive damage.

Balgonie superintendent, Shawn McBain, said Saturday that the entire town has been working around the clock to clean up the mess.

“I’m tired, I think the whole community is tired, but you just keep going. Do what you have to do,” he added.

Trees were left flooding the streets following the strong winds and heavy rain, and the town’s mayor Frank Thauberger said he was overwhelmed with the overflow of outside aid.

“Volunteers came from Pilot Butte and all over. Farmers came with their trucks. We just had people from all over coming to help, it was impressive.”

The head of SaskPower says a handful of customers remain without electricity in rural areas after a powerful storm blew through southern Saskatchewan.

Teri Fikowski / Global News


Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

Related

  • Thunderstorms wreak havoc across Southern Saskatchewan

Volunteers explained they were happy to see their efforts paying off, but acknowledged that there was a long way to go.

A number of residents at the Heritage Court senior complex are not yet to be able to return home, after rain began spilling through their roof Friday night.

Ruth Scherr is a resident at the complex, and said that many seniors had to leave and go stay with family.

“If it affects one, it affects all of us,” she explained. “But like I said, we consider ourselves very fortunate. It could have been a lot worse, it could have been lives lost.”

Initial damages in Balgonie run into the high thousands, including a school which still sits buried under debris.

Meantime, many areas including parts of Regina remain without power after lightning and high winds resulted in trees knocking out power lines.

SaskPower reported that at the peak of the storm, about 7,000 people were without power in the south east portion of the province, and as of Saturday afternoon roughly 95 per cent of those customers have had their power restored.

The corporation said they were still dealing with isolated outages in White City, Balgonie, Maclean, and Fort Qu’Apelle.

McIlroy rallies on back to win riveting PGA Championship – National

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The challenge finally arrived for Rory McIlroy, and he was better than ever to win the PGA Championship.

On a back nine filled with as much tension as a major can provide, McIlroy emerged from a four-man battle with flawless golf to outlast Phil Mickelson and the darkness Sunday at Valhalla and capture his second straight major.

Story continues below

HangZhou Night Net

McIlroy closed with a 3-under 68 and became only the fourth player in the last century of golf to win four majors at 25 or younger. The others were Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus and Bobby Jones, three of the game’s greatest players.

Boy Wonder appears on his way to belonging in that group.

READ MORE: Rory McIlroy: Golf’s next big star, but not golf’s next Tiger

“I didn’t think in my wildest dreams I’d have a summer like this,” said McIlroy, only the seventh player to win the last two majors of the year. “I played the best golf of my life. I really gutted it out today.”

But one of the greatest shows on soggy turf came with a most peculiar ending.

McIlroy hit a 9-iron from a fairway bunker on the 17th hole to 10 feet and made the birdie putt to take a two-shot lead to the par-5 18th. Because of a two-hour rain delay, darkness was falling quickly and it wasn’t certain McIlroy would be able to finish.

He was allowed to tee off even before Mickelson and Rickie Fowler had reached their golf balls in the fairway. Both were only two shots behind and still in the game. McIlroy came within a yard of hitting into a hazard right of the fairway. Mickelson and Fowler had to stand to the side of the green to allow McIlroy to play his second shot.

The 25-year-old from Northern Ireland hit into a bunker and had to two-putt from 35 feet for a one-shot win.

Moments earlier, Mickelson came within inches of chipping in for eagle. He settled for a 6-under 66 and a runner-up for the ninth time in a major. Fowler, the first player in history to finish in the top five at all four majors without winning, also had a chance with a long eagle putt. He missed badly, and then missed the short birdie putt.

Fowler closed with a 68 and tied for third with Henrik Stenson, who also had a share of the lead until missing a 3-foot par putt on the 14th putt. He never recovered from that and shot 66.

McIlroy finished at 16-under 268. The victory was his third in a row, following the British Open and World Golf Championship event last week at Firestone.

©2014The Canadian Press